Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"Juvenile"

     I may not always act maturely in every given situation. This will come as a shock to my wife, I'm sure, but sometimes I even get slightly carried away. A bit. 
   In my defense, the things I get worked up about are no brainers; motorcycles, redheads, etc. When I like something, I really like it. I can be a bit self-centered in my pursuits, and perhaps maybe even a tad excessive. Maybe.


     I kinda like being an all or nothing guy. You're either super pumped on something, or you couldn't give a shit and two nickels. Makes life easier.
   Seriously, who the frig wants to be sensible all the time anyway? We don't start out that way.


     When we're young, anything is possible. The problem is, at that age, you feel like you have all the time in the world; so a little goofing off couldn't hurt. Your entire life is literally ahead of you, so why rush in to some web of obligation right away? There will be plenty of time for being an adult. So, you play. You gain some confidence, and you play a little harder and, God willing, you play so hard that at some point, you scare yourself into adulthood. And that's where the fun dies. Right there, in your arms, as you helplessly watch and scream skyward as the camera pans away.


     Welp, I'm just not havin' it. I don't wanna scream skyward. I don't want the fact that I am an adult to mean the death of fun. I think that might be what kills us.
   You ever know anybody that worked their whole life at something they loved, and then died right after they stopped? We should all be so lucky. The trick is not to stop. Those people were having fun, and they refused to stop, so they just did what made them happy until they were done. Now they're done. 
   I don't want to slave away at some soul sucking task, hurry up and retire, and then just linger around like a bad smell until I rot. Not even with tapioca and Game Show Network. Yes I love tapioca and Game Show Network, I think we all do, but that's not the point. The point is, it's the journey, man. The journey. I don't mean to get all Hempfest about it, but it's true. Everybody's in such a God damn hurry; and for what? 
   "Race you to the grave!" Geezus, slow down, look around. See those people that are trying to talk to you? No, not the ones on Facebook. The ones in your house, at your work, in your school. Those are your friends. Talk to them. Face to face, not face to Facebook.


     Trust me guys, this is all going to be over in a minute, and if you don't pay attention, you could miss it. Don't take yourself too seriously, nobody else does. All those people you're worried about what they might think? They're too busy worrying about themselves to notice anything about you. And even if they did notice, they don't care, they just care about what you think about them.


     Do what you want to do. Be juvenile. Not in a Penn State kind of way of course, don't hurt anyone. But within reason, do what you like. Do what you like and live a long life. Love who you love and love them just right.

No comments: