Thursday, April 26, 2012

Grandpa's Sandwich

     When I was a boy, my grandfather would make me lunch. He was partial to sandwiches and made a wide variety. 


   Deviled Ham 
     
     When it came to deviled ham he was a purist. Fresh rye, usually a sourdough or 'Jewish' rye, and meat spread. No mayo. No veg. That is all.


   Tuna


     No one ever called it 'tunafish' in our house and we were suspicious of those who did. Rye or sourdough, tuna in water, usually Albacore, diced onion, maybe some pickle juice, little mayo, bingo. You add corn chips to that, and you are set my friend.
   There were additions of tomato and lettuce when available, and on cold days, melted cheddar. 


   Sardine


     That's right. I was regularly sent to elementary school with sardine sandwiches in my pail. I thought nothing of it. My peers were rare to trade me. 
   Always rye. Little mayo, sliced onion, red. Let me reassure you, they are delicious.


     You may have noticed, no peanut butter and jelly. That's right, NO peanut butter and jelly! You want that shit, go ask your grandmother to make it.


     No matter the sandwich, they were always, perfect. Just the right amount, of everything. I never wanted for anything else when I had a sandwich from Grandpa. I never added or would subtract from their ingredients. I ate them throughout my childhood, and knew them like a friend. When I was older (and foolish) I wanted to make my own sandwich. 
   I had eaten thousands of them. I'd watched him a million times. I knew exactly how he did it.   But that's not what I did.


     No, I was somehow going to improve upon the perfect sandwich of my grandfather. A feat of culinary hubris so bold, I knew the results would be impressive.
   First! I would push the limits of the old man's sandwich theories. Mustard is good, yes, but what about a shit ton of it?!? Oh, he'd never thought of that, had he? 
   But it was too much, it ruined the sandwich. I was way off. A sandwich isn't great by its condiments, please, I needed the true essence of sandwich, the meat! But it was just a bunch of extra meat. It was too dry. It just wasn't right. I just started buying pre-made sandwiches.


     Year's later, with kid's of my own, I have returned to the art of sandwich making. I don't try and reinvent the wheel anymore, I just make sandwiches. With a little bit of what's needed, and nothing that isn't. And they're perfect.


     


     
     

No comments: